Vintage Twirl Dresses

This week I began the first of my summer sewing for the girls. 

I want to use my stash of special fabrics to make some clothes for them before they get too big!

First up are two twirl dresses in my favourite style - using lots of vintage fabrics and trim!

I love that I could finally use my little doilies to make sleeves and I had enough vintage fabric to create unique looks for the girls! Amelie picked a rainbow mix and Clementine wanted an all blue dress!



To create the dresses I used an existing bodice pattern and squared the neckline:


I inserted the sleeves when I joined the bodice fabric and lining together.


To make the tiers I cut each fabric 1.5 times the width of the previous one and added 1" to the length.




I used 3 different vintage buttons on Clementine's dress and a lace trim on her hem line. The lace is beautiful and very fine - hopefully it will survive her wear and tear!

I trimmed Amelie's dress with a yellow ric rac to brighten the last tier!



The girls love them and Amelie has been wearing hers everyday since it was finished!


Let the twirling begin!


Comments

  1. These are gorgeous! I'm usually a rainbow girl through and through... but those blues are just divine together! :) Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, looks like you got some great shots during that "magic hour"! Sweet dresses on sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blue dress kills me, it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the twirl factor of the dresses! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness the fabrics on those dresses are to die for!!! Love love love them!!!-liZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely dresses...I love all of those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so so pretty! I love the doilies as sleeves - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous fabric choices. If you don't mind me asking is that bottom yellow fabric from a sheet? I love the doilies for sleeves too. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes all the fabric is from vintage sheets: http://amelieandatticus.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/country-towns-and-vintage-sheets.html

      Delete
  9. Such lovely dresses! Love the fabrics on them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts